Supplement Income Without a Part-Time Job
I work night and day building the Phroogal platform – a better way to discover answers and shop financial products. As I build the product, we need to find clever ways to supplement our income.
Updated >>> 37 Creative Ways to Supplement You Income
Money doesn’t grow on trees so we took it upon ourselves to find some clever ways to make extra cash without taking on a part-time job or too much time.
Time is always required but you might find the financial return to be worth it. Some ways of supplementing income involve specific skills you have while others are task oriented. There are creative ways to supplement an income that can be done during “down-time” and around your schedule.
For instance, I was headed back from Williamstown, NJ to Elizabeth, NJ and on my way I used GigWalk to earn $7. I stopped by Walmart on the exact road I was on to take a picture of a product display. It took 4 minutes to earn $7.
Read More >>> 9 Unconventional Ways to Supplement Your Income
Here are some ideas to earn extra cash:
Ask friends and family.
Chores need to be done but they don’t need to be completed by the person who needs them. That’s an opportunity to reign in some extra dough. Asking family or friends for side work can be tough because we might feel a bit embarrassed about our money situation.
- Take the entrepreneurial route and offer your expertise to HELP your family and friends when they need them. Make sure you let them know what you can do such as cleaning out a garage, tuning up a car, unclogging a drain or helping them write their business plans.
- Post messages on Facebook and send out an email to your family and friends. Ask them to share it within their network too. I’ve done this a few times and have scored side gigs that included setting up Ikea furniture to helping a few people learn the ins-and-outs of credit reports and dispute process.
Rent out your car.
Think about the actual amount of time you’re driving your car. You might be surprised to learn it’s parked on the street more hours than it is driven. In fact, on average, a car sits idle 22 hours a day. What if you could rent out your car when it’s not in use?
- Companies like GetAround and RelayRides enable you to rent out your car for an hour, a day or a week. Auto insurance is covered by the companies insurance policy the moment the renter picks up your car. These peer-to-peer car rental companies state you can make up to $10,000 a year. What could you do with an extra $10k a year?
Read More >>> Make Money Driving People Around
Share your time and talents.
Maybe you have a few hours free to help someone move furniture, buy groceries or run an errand. Maybe you’re a great PowerPoint creator or fast at typing.
- TaskRabbit as a great way to supplement income around your time. You can choose tasks offered by people like you and me or from companies. Choose tasks that fit around your schedule. I know of a few companies that use this service to get things done from time-to-time. There is a 3 part process to becoming a TaskRabbiter which includes an application, social connections and video interview.
Do secret shops and store audits.
- I’ve used a few mobile apps such as Gigwalk to make extra cash on my free time when I’m already in the vicinity of a shop because of the GPS feature. I don’t look for shops or audits to complete if I’m home however if I am running to the corner pharmacy, I’ll check the app and see if there are any shops available. I’ve analyzed that you could make $200 doing 20 shops within a 10 mile radius in a period of 4 hours. That’s about $50 an hour.
Read More >>> How to Make Money Secret Shopping
Sell items online.
I’ve sold items online through Craigslist, eBay and Amazon. I’ve been successful selling musical instruments and furniture on Craigslist and found selling textbooks to be profitable on Amazon. This weekend alone I made $150 selling on Craigslist and $125 selling on Amazon.
- Take a look around your home and you might find things you don’t use which can go to someone who need it and that means it’s worth cash. You get to do three things at once – make money, clean out the clutter and keep items out of the landfill. Learn more on how to sell on Craigslist.
These are a few examples of how to supplement your income without an official part-time job. What other ideas do you have to supplement your income?
Enjoyed Like this article? Subscribe to our free newsletter and we’ll send you a weekly email of our best blogs and deals.